We are giving bridges official names under our bridge naming competition.
Bridge names are important for community safety, as they help emergency services pinpoint locations more easily.
Members of the community are invited to nominate names, which are then shortlisted by local councils and VicTrack. The public then has the opportunity to vote for their favourite names from the shortlist.
Names must commemorate a local community member or event, and follow the criteria set out by the Office of Geographic Names (OGN).
The first bridge to be named through the competition was Ellis Bridge, in Huntly near Bendigo.
Five bridges in Moorabool Shire have also been named under through the competition:
- Bridge on Dunnstown Road, near Navigators: Navigators Bridge
- Bridge on Portland Flat Road, near Ballan: Gascards Lane Bridge
- Bridge on Browns Lane, near Bacchus Marsh: Fred Lewin Bridge
- Bridge on Paces Lane, near Bacchus Marsh: Paces Bridge
- Bridge on McCormacks Road, near Bacchus Marsh: McCormacks Bridge