The historic Dunkeld Station building has been restored and will become part of the day-to-day life of Dunkeld once again.
Member for Western Victoria, Gayle Tierney, joined Southern Grampians Shire Council representatives, community leaders and residents today to officially open the rejuvenated station building.
Dunkeld station is nearly 140 year old building and has not been an operating station for more than 35 years. However, thanks to a $360,000 investment by the Victorian Government, the station building has been restored and
will be used by local artists as a working, gallery and exhibition space.
Refurbishment included restoration of the outside and inside of the building, damp-proofing and the installation of a kitchenette, accessible toilet and art wash-up troughs. Paving, fencing and landscaping works were also undertaken, and car parking was added.
The works were carried out by Searle Bros builders, and managed by Victorian rail asset owner VicTrack, on behalf of the Victorian Government.
The space is being leased and managed by the ‘Off the Rails’ Arts Committee.
Dunkeld Station was built in 1877 after the completion of the Dunkeld-Ararat railway extension in the previous year. Passenger services to the station ceased in 1981.
Download PDF of the media release