Five bridges in the Shire of Moorabool have been officially named to make it easier for emergency services to find them.
The bridges, all road bridges over railway lines, are now called:
- Bridge on Dunnstown Road, near Navigators: Navigators Bridge
- Bridge on Portland Flat Road, near Ballan: Gascards Lane Bridge
- Bridge on Browns Lane, near Bacchus Marsh: Fred Lewin Bridge
- Bridge on Paces Lane, near Bacchus Marsh: Paces Bridge
- Bridge on McCormacks Road, near Bacchus Marsh: McCormacks Bridge
The bridges were named through our Bridge Naming Competition. Members of the community were invited to nominate names, which were then shortlisted by the Shire of Moorabool and VicTrack.
The public then had the opportunity to vote for their favourite names from the shortlist.
Most of the chosen names were the names used by locals, or came from nearby road names. The bridge on Browns Lane was named in honour of Fred Lewin, a well-known community volunteer at St Vinnies, little athletics and the local netball club.
The Bridge Naming Competition was launched in 2015, and is designed to find names for bridges in fire or flood prone areas so emergency services can locate them more accurately.
Ellis Bridge, in Huntly near Bendigo, was the first bridge to be named under the program.