There is a risk that some bridge structures may become electrified under fault condition where tram traction infrastructure is located under the bridge. This may also result in all conductive structures, adjacent Trunk Telecommunication Infrastructure (TTI) and other bridge affixed structures becoming electrified.
Until further notice, work restrictions apply at the following locations:
Emergency works may only occur in the vicinity of the below rail bridge locations under approval from VicTrack’s Network Management Centre (NMC) as per the process below.
|Location||GIS coordinates||Tram Overhead Electrical section||Tram Location|
|Ascot Vale, Epsom Rd||-37.7836095741029, 144.91760867582227||RP.A.4||Epsom Rd overpass|
|Balaclava, Carlisle St||-37.86877930912586, 144.99364498846998||E.DA.7||Carlisle St, Rail Bridge/Balaclava Station|
|Camberwell, Toorak Rd||-37.84840800599029, 145.07848115044354||CW.BD.2||Hartwell Bridge|
|Caulfield North, Smith St||-37.875461617850675, 145.0397243555488||DA.1||Derby St Rail Bridge|
|CBD Rail viaduct at Market St||-37.81949860019462, 144.96119988630406||S.EL.9||Queens Bridge Rail Bridge|
|CBD Rail viaduct at Spencer St||-37.8212395189885, 144.95514024688126||EL7.SP7/EL.SP.5
|Spencer and Flinders St Rail Bridge|
|CBD Rail viaduct at Flinders St||-37.82113431920958, 144.95476581314935||EL7.SP7/EL.SP.5
|Spencer and Flinders St Rail Bridge|
|Clifton Hill, High St||-37.78515574934138, 144.99509851216558||N.CH.1||Clifton Hill Rail Bridge|
|Cremorne, Swan St||-37.82501075230557, 144.99202233567487||FL.SN.1||Swan St Rail Bridge|
|Essendon, Mt Alexander Rd||-37.75373745641059, 144.9165561566447||A.ES.1||Fletcher St Rail Bridge /Essendon Station|
|Hawthorn, Glenferrie Rd||-37.82143049212253, 145.03556174118015||H.Q.5||Hawthorn Station Rail Bridge|
|Newmarket, Racecourse Rd||-37.788103601146034, 144.92920162317773||RP.A.4||Newmarket Rail Bridge|
|North Melbourne, Racecourse Rd||-37.78895100291279, 144.93820787427785||RP.A.4||Boundary Rd Rail Bridge|
|Richmond, Victoria St||-37.80971037908738, 144.9926005286944||R.Y.2||Victoria St Rail Bridge|
For planned works where energy power isolation has not already occurred, and the works are authorised under a Permit to Work or Change Request issued by VicTrack Change Management or permission granted under another VicTrack business function:
1. As part of the site pre-start, the reliability of safe tram power supply is confirmed by personnel working on site before commencing any work. This may include but is not limited to fire in trunking, sparking or arcing between a tram pantograph and the overhead under a bridge, or lights flickering on a tram passing under a bridge.
2. If personnel working on site identifies that electrical energy may be unsafe, the emergency response process listed above is to be followed.
3. Personnel working on site to call Yarra Trams Power Centre on (03) 9610-3394 to check whether there are any fault conditions. If no fault conditions exist, planned works may proceed. If Yarra Trams Power Centre confirm that a fault DOES exist, the emergency response process listed above is to be followed.
Approval will only be granted by VicTrack’s NMC for emergency response to commence on site once the following steps have been completed:
1. Field Technicians to observe for any signs that electrical energy may be unsafe. This may include but is not limited to fire in trunking, sparking or arcing between a tram pantograph and the overhead under a bridge, or lights flickering on a tram passing under a bridge.
2. Field Technician advises NMC if emergency services are in attendance on site and have authorised work to commence.
3. If emergency services are NOT in attendance but are required, Field Technician calls 000 to request the appropriate service. Field Technician to advise NMC that the call to emergency services has been made.
4. Field Technician to confirm electrical isolation with onsite Yarra Trams Electrical Supervisor or Overhead Wagon, if they are present on site.
5. If a Yarra Trams representative is not on site, the Field Technician to request the NMC to call Yarra Trams Power Centre Supervisor on (03) 9610-3394 to confirm the status of overhead supply for the location or electrical section. NMC to inform Yarra Trams Electrical of the Incident and ask Yarra Trams to confirm electrical isolation.
6. Field Technician to confirm to NMC that electrical isolation has been confirmed on site.
7. NMC to record all relevant information and actions taken in the incident ticket.
8. NMC to approve emergency works to commence once steps 1 – 7 are completed.
Please contact VicTrack on (03) 9619-1111.